The UN rights experts have warned of “mass death from hunger, disease and exposure” in East Myanmar after “brutal attacks, carelessly” by the military forced tens of thousands of people to escape from their homes in Kay.
In a statement released on Wednesday, Tom Andrews, the UN Special Rapporteur for Myanmar, called for an urgent international action, said the attack by the military – who took power after the February coup – “threatening the lives of many men, women and children” in the country Karenni.
“Let me blunt,” Andrews said. “Mass death from hunger, disease, and exposure, on our scale has not been seen since the February 1 coup, can occur in the Kadah State absent immediately action.”
The request came for hours after the UN office in Myanmar said violence in Kayah had fled an estimated 100,000 people, who are now seeking safety in the forest, the host community, and the southern part of the State State.
Those who escaped and those in the affected location of bombings and artillery needed food, water, residence, fuel, and access to health services, the UN office said in a statement.
“This crisis can encourage people on the international border seeking salvation,” he warned, called on all parties to “take the necessary steps and precautions to protect civilians and civil infrastructure.”
Myanmar has also been in chaos since the military takeover, protests every day throughout the country, and fighting in the border area between the military and an armed ethnic minority group. Human rights groups said security forces have killed at least 849 people since the coup and were detained 5,800 others.
The people who lived in Kayah told Al Jazeera Military had launched an airstrike indiscriminately and shooting in the civilian after the battle took place on May 21 between security forces and civilian resistance groups called for themselves Karenni People’s Defense Forces (KPDF).
There were some deaths, including a 14-year-old boy shot dead in Likawa City and a young man who was directly shot in the head with his hands tied behind him. The military has also repeatedly attacked churches in the region dominated by Christianity. One example of killing four people among the 300 innocent villagers took refuge in a Catholic Church in Loikaw.
‘Progress is plodding on the ASEAN plan.
Security forces have also attacked and threatened all the humanitarian workers. While the Andrews said, he had received a report that the army “stopped assistance from achieving this desperate people” by establishing a military blockade and crashing into land mines in public streets.
“Any pressure or utilizing UN member countries can be carried out on the junta now it must be given so that the Leader Junta Min Aung Hlaing will be immediately: (1): open the access road and allow tools to save to reach those in need, and (2) stop terrorizing The population by stopping air, shooting, and shooting civilians. ”
Andrews said the military attack on civilians in Kayah was “the latest series throughout Myanmar which caused massive displacement and humanitarian suffering, including in Mutraw in the state of Karen, Mindat in Chin State, and Bago City, among others.
“Now more than before, the international community must decide access to Junta resources depending on continuing this brutal attack on the Myanmar people,” he stated.
Myanmar’s military has so far ignored all the international criticism of its complex, cruel acts and shows little sign of heeding the “five-point consensus” agreed between Min Aung Hlaing and Southeast Asian leaders in April. Agreement – achieved at the particular peak of the Southeast Asian (ASEAN) Association – calling for violence, political talks, and regional specialty envy.
On Monday, the ASEAN Foreign Minister met with Myanmar’s military envoy in Chongqing China and expressed concern for the progress of “slow” soldiers to apply consensus. However, Wunna Maung Lwin, the military minister, said at the meeting: “The only way to ensure a disciplined and original democratic system” was through a five-point program prepared by the military announced after the February coup.
The plan has little similarity with the ASEAN consensus. It includes establishing a new election commission – the military has claimed without evidence that the November 2020 election is a fraud – steps against the Covid-19 pandemic and economic recovery efforts.
China, meanwhile, has supported the ASEAN plan.
In a statement, the Chinese Foreign Ministry mentioned that Wang met Wunna Maung Lwin and called to implement “consensus five points” and ended “all kinds of violence” in Myanmar.
“We encourage all parties in Myanmar to be involved in political dialogue in the constitutional and legal framework and restart the democratic transformation process,” Wang said in the statement.