Suppose you are one of those movie fanatics who has gone through the best of all times. I am sure you have seen the 2007 American Gangster, then today’s article is for you. This movie was an all-time hit, but today we will talk about the story of what happened before it. Yes, we brought you the prequel of the movie, and this prequel of the American Gangster is in the form of the series known as Godfather of Harlem, which was released by Epix on September 29, 2019.
The ‘Godfather of Harlem’ is an American crime drama television series. The story is based on a 1960’s New York Gangster, Bumpy Johnson. To know more about the show and uncover the release of season 2, please stick with us till the end.
Renewal and Release Date:
After the finale of season one aired, the worldwide fans of the show await the second season. Above all, season one’s enormous success made the producers of ‘Godfather of Harlem’ go for the second season.
Furthermore, the series was renewed for season 2, on February 12, 2020. However, on July 20, 2020, a docu-series was announced based on the series titled, By Whatever Means Necessary: The Times of Godfather of Harlem will premiere in late 2020.
Epix’s president Michael Wright, while announcing the renewal of the second season, said the following:
“Godfather of Harlem season one was a remarkable success, tripling previous viewership numbers for the network and earning acclaim from both critics and viewers alike.” He further added, “We couldn’t wait to reunite with Chris, Paul, Forest and the team at ABC Signature to continue telling this compelling and extremely relevant story.“
The production has already begun for the second season in New York, and this upcoming season will consist of another ten amazing episodes, similar to season one. The earliest possibility for the second season to air is at the end of this year; Epix might present the second season as a Christmas gift. Catch up with the latest movies and web series.
We have already given you a hint of what the show is all about. However, here is a little extra teaser for you. Bumpy Johnson, the infamous crime boss, returns from the prison after serving 11 years on a drug conspiracy charge and finds the neighborhood that he once ruled in shambles. During the decade while he was in detention, everything has changed outside. Bumpy jokes that the only thing that remains the same is the famous Apollo Theater.
Now Italian-mob is controlling the streets, and to gain back the control, Bumpy has to take on the Genovese crime family.
‘Godfather of Harlem’ is a collision of the criminal underworld and the civil rights movement during one of the most agitated American history times.
The Cast of Godfathers of Harlem:
- Forest Whitaker as Bumpy Johnson
- Ilfenesh Hadera as Mayme Johnson, Bumpy’s wife
- Antoinette Crowe-Legacy as Elise Johnson, Bumpy’s heroin-addicted daughter
- Nigél Thatch as Malcolm X, an old friend of Bumpy’s and one of the prominent figures in the Nation of Islam
- Kelvin Harrison Jr. as Teddy Greene, an aspiring musician, and Stella’s boyfriend
- Luis Guzmán as Alejandro “El Guapo” Villabuena
- Rafi Gavron as Ernie Nunzi, a violent associate of Vincent’s
- Erik LaRay Harvey as Del Chance
- Elvis Nolasco as Nat Pettigrew
Chris Brancato is the showrunner, but there are other executive producers as well, and their names are as follows:
- Paul Eckstein
- Forest Whitaker
- Nina Yang Bongiovi
- James Acheson
- John Ridley
- Markuann Smith
Besides Chris Brancato, Moise Verneaux and Paul Eckstein are the writers of the show. Furthermore, some other interesting facts about the show:
- Theme music composer- Mark Isham
- Opening theme- “Just In Case” by Swizz Beatz
- Country of origin- United States
- Original language- English
- Production location- New York City
- Camera setup- Single-camera
- Production company- ABC Signature Studios, Significant Productions, and Chris Brancato Inc.
- Distributor- Disney and ABC Domestic Television.